Thursday, March 1, 2012

YOU STINK!


Hey! – You stink!





I have a friend who’s been a long time job recruiter. Working at a company that placed numerous contract employees per week, one day her boss came in and asked everyone in the office: “Hey! Who placed ‘so-and-so’ at that job site?” She meekly raised her hand and said: “I did.”

“Well, call him up”, her boss said, “and tell him he stinks. His coworkers have been complaining about his body odor”.

Hopefully, you’ve never gotten a call like that, or had a co-worker mention their olfactory senses have been offended by you. But that might only mean you’ve been lucky enough to work with tolerant and polite co-workers. It can be a problem, especially in a closed environment, like an office pool, or cubical settings.

Here’s a couple of things to consider: Just because YOU don’t notice it, or realize it, you still could smell. If you’ve got any doubt, ask someone you’re close to and won’t be offended by if they tell you so. Do NOT try to cover the smell of body odor with perfume or cologne. The only thing worse than sitting close to somebody that smells like B.O. is sitting next to somebody with massive amounts of perfume on that’s trying to cover up that smell. One word here: Shower!

Another thing: more and more companies and workplaces are taking a zero-tolerance regarding colognes, perfumes and sprays. And for good reasons. One: some people are allergic to such things, and second, some people just don’t know the word, ‘moderation’.

One last thing: Cigarette smoke and smell. As a smoker myself, I try to respect those who I work with. I know how offensive it can be. I keep a small spray container of ‘Axe’ personal body spray either in my briefcase or in a desk drawer. When I go out to smoke, I take this with me and use it (moderately, of course) before returning to my desk. I don’t know the ‘female equivalent’ of this product, but I’m sure it exists. If your place of employment has a ‘no-scent’ policy, you can always consider ‘FeBreeze’ or an equivalent product. These seem to work quite well, and your co-workers will be eternally grateful. Even if they don’t say anything to you.    

Written by:  Ronald J. Morse, Writer, Motivational Speaker

For more information on Careers, Employers:  www.aboluteknowitall.com

Visit  Facebook.com/AbsoluteKnowItAll

No comments:

Post a Comment